Sunday, August 1, 2010

congrats to momma b, the best lunch lady ever

Well a big congrats goes out to Momma B, who retired on Friday after 25 years old Michigan State Univ. madness. She has been a lunch lady for more years than I've been alive, and that in itself, is a huge accomplishment. I heard, through the grapevine, that she won the "golden" hair net award. It was almost as if this song was written for you (with a little help from Chris F.):



But a big congrats to you for surviving, for not killing anymore, for being a wonderful boss who everyone loved, for working really hard on that meatloaf, and for being a wonderful momma through it all. So here is some pictures from her retirement/don't-let-the-door-kick-you-on-the-way-out party:



That is the most beautiful fruit themed tea pot I've ever seen...I would have eaten all of that up. Yes please. Can I have the entire pot full of berries, please?



So 50-75 people my momma has worked with over the last 25 years (everyone from other lunch ladies, to maintenance staff, to chefs, to friends of the family) showed up for the free food and cake, and of course to wish her the best as the amount of time she has to spend with Poppa B dramatically increases. This dude has the biggest toolbelt on EVER. Crap, who knows how his pants are even staying up right there....

One thing I've always admired about my rents is that they are very fair-minded and open when it comes to other people and diversity. Throughout my childhood if there was a holiday where their graduate students, or foreign colleagues, or cafe workers, or poor interns needed a place to eat, they were automatically invited to our house. We would have always have diverse people over, who fortunately for me, would bring homemade curry or sushi or some Russian salad of goodness. I learned so much for those experiences. Anyone remember when Abdul told everyone that I was going to be s-m-r-t because I had a big forehead??? He claimed I'd have lots of brains.....good thing I proved him wrong :)



And finally Momma B had a gigantic cake in her honor too. That looks like one big piece of sugar....not my thing, or a key element to any good retirement party.

CONGRATS Momma B. Now we wait 6 months of Poppa B and you will both be free from MSU after a combined 55 years of services to the great state of MI. Good work. Sorry to have missed your party, but I had a glass (or two) of wine in your honor from VA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment