Friday, March 5, 2010

poor organization is a symptom of adhd

Now that I've been hanging out in strange places that are not my home, I have an opportunity to browse the internets as much as I want and watch as much bad TV as possible. At 6 AM this morning, I was watching the crazy number of infomercials and was learning alot.

I saw this commercial about adult ADHD and they kept asking "can you not get everything done?" and "can you not find things?" And I was sitting there going, do these adults have adhd or are they just unorganized??? We work with kids all the time who have adhd and a large part of helping them is how the environment is structured. Isn't it likely that these are adults who don't know how to successfully structure their environment?

This sounds like a less educated/informed D blog posting, but I can't help but wonder.....I've had this conversation a number of times with people the last couple weeks, about personal limitations and finding strategies to cope. I can speak from experience, that much of my life success (and that is dependable) is a product of me being proactive to set up my environment differently and structure my life, my work life, etc. in ways that help me function better.

I'm not denying that there such a thing of adult adhd and I do believe I have a couple friends who may have symptoms (cough, cough). But they are also active enough to try different things and find coping strategies.

I will admit though I'm overly organized...

No comments:

Post a Comment