Tuesday, February 9, 2010

a real working trip

Soooo I officially made it to Norfolk for two days of work. It's been an adventure thus far:
  • The UVA supplies people have sent me the wrong video tapes twice. First I had 12 cassette tapes, which does nothing for my video camera. Then they sent only 6 of the correct ones, which isn't nearly enough. So I'm looking forward to trying to find a place somewhere here in Norfolk tomorrow afternoon to buy more tapes for my second day....
  • We had a teacher last minute invite me to their classroom, which meant I had 1 day to plan to extend my Norfolk visit. Unfortunately I had already booked a hotel which wouldn't let me extend my stay without charging me a extra $60 more a night. So now I am moving to another hotel for tomorrow night. Great, huh?
  • Hotel hopping doesn't help with the directions I already printed to get to the two schools which are on opposite ends of the city, which has more water in it than Seattle (SERIOUSLY, do you know how many lakes/rivers/oceans and bridges are in this city??). These types of trips make me wish I had a GPS. I wonder how many times I'll be lost :)
  • Once I find the school, I'm really realllly (insert sass) looking forward to finding a way to film around 15 3-5 year olds when 3-4 of them don't have consent. That means they can't be on the screen which makes life much more difficult. Maybe if I just ask the 3 year old not to play with their other friends, it might work.....maybe.
  • Keep praying for no snow down here so that the public schools aren't canceled tomorrow morning. That would seriously suck my balls if I get down here and then there isn't school.
  • I'm trying to enjoy cable TV but the Potty Dance commercials keep coming on, further emphasizing why I don't watch TV anymore because now all I hear in my head is: "the potty dance, let's all wear our big kid's pants"
  • I keep charging and recharging my video cameras and batteries thinking I've forgotten something....
  • A plethora of older business men where in the hotel bar tonight and I was trying very very hard not to have conversations with them that started with "do you want a drink?", "I think I pulled a muscle in my back," "I put ice/hot on my forehead," and "I like to keep my money is IRAs (blah blah blah)"

No comments:

Post a Comment