Sunday, June 13, 2010

lupus rockstar

Well, it's official, I've turned into a Lupus rockstar. You raise $13,000 for the foundation and all the sudden you are a hot commodity. Since the successful walk, I've had two great opportunities presented to me. First, we got to go a Gala, and second, I got asked to be a peer-reviewer for all new Lupus research proposals (but more on this later).

First, I got an invitation to the National Lupus Gala which was on the hill in DC. At first, I was going to say no, but then I figured when the else was I going to be able to get dressed up and go to a GALA on the hill. So T and I hoped in the plastic pinto and drove up to DC, polished off a bottle of wine while getting gushied up, and headed to the event. We decided we would drive into the district so that we could valet the pinto. It was super hot rolling up in my 8 incher rims, low riding to the ground (and not on purpose!). Some hot men walked us in and right away we were bedazzled by fanciness of metal detectors, name cards, open bars, tuxes, heels, and amuse bouches. Listen, I'll come back to this event year after year just so someone will amuse my bouch!!! (hahah, I got a hundred of those thoughts going through my head)

No seriously though, those appies were amazing, and I kept trying to put the lemon chicken ice cream cone one in my purse. T and I were social and rubbing elbows with important people, drinking wine and maritias. Finally, they opened up the ballroom which was amazing decorated. There were tall columns with sheer drapes, orchids center pieces, purple butterflies everywhere and fanciness. We found out that my good friend Kassandra was sitting at our table (who admitted to me during advocacy days that we would have been "sandbox buddies" when we were younger), which meant our night just got exponentially better.

First thing Kassandra suggests is for us to try to get back into the VIP room. Well HELLS yes, both T and I said without hesitation. So we sneak back and sure enough guess who is there....no other then Jullian Lennon, John Lennon's son, getting ready to go on stage. For those who don't know, in situations like this I tend NOT to be shy, but belly up to that business because this is a once and lifetime opportunity (case and point, asking DMB for a pic or chasing down naked man during bachelorette parties or making out with men dressed as Moses--life is too short not to take full advantage of these types of situations), which resulted in this amazing picture:

We said thanks, I gave him a reach-around, and we went back to our seats. During the amazing 4-course meal, T and I continued to down our own bottles of wine. Seriously, they just kept bringing more! We sat through the speeches, the awards, and also got some goodies bags (Ted Turner's biography was a real page turner, let me tell you). After the banquet, we decided to sneak back into the VIP room where we were able to met the other LFA model spokesperson, who won America's Next Top Model, and take this picture:

During the after VIP room, I walked up to one of the bars to ask for a drink. The suited up guy behind the bar goes "Oh I'm not a bartender, I'm just making myself a drink" and then hands us a bottle of vodka. So there we are, dressed to the 9's, on the hill, walking around with our bottle of vodka, and hanging out with the Lennon family. Pretty wicked awesome if you ask me!

The night ended with us waiting for the plastic pinto to be delivered next to all the caddies, and a trip into the DC ghetto to take Kassandra home. I said "We are headed to Rosslyn area" and she said "I'm on the way" which translated meant "we are going to all over DC, passing at least 20 cop cars on the way, and praying you people can find your way back at 11 PM at night." Needless to say, T and I got home safely and I'm pretty sure T was passed out on the floor before we were through the door!

Those are the nights of good memories! Maybe this chronic illness thing has some perks after all.....

No comments:

Post a Comment