Sunday, June 13, 2010

lupus rockstar part 2

So the second part of my Lupus rockstarness is that I got to meet VA's Senator Mark Warner this spring. I forgot to post this great picture of my Lupus friends as we are standing on the Capital Steps in DC. You have to admit we are one sexy group of Lupus bitches, hooootttt:

OK so the real second part of my Lupus rockstar internship is being asked to be a peer-reviewer for the new Lupus-related research proposals coming into the government. I was nominated by the foundation, had to submit a personal statement and CV, and be interviewed by the Dept. of Defense (or something). I figured this too was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunities to be involved in who gets funded by the government and what Lupus issues are on the front line of our research and attention. Plus I figured this was a moment to apply this experience to my professional life, even though it is a separate topic. Soooo I found out this week I was accepted and will be heading up to the hill in September to participate in 3 days of meetings and decision-making (which I apparently also get paid for, so bonus there too).

Also this week I got an email that I'm going to be mentored by someone else who has be apart of these committees previously. I google stalked this person and I'm pretty sure he is someone important, especially since I think he has a forbes.com profile. Soooo THAT made me slightly more nervous, but I'll work it out. More on this as it unfolds.....

No comments:

Post a Comment