Wednesday, December 30, 2009

new diagnosis tools

Sooooo, I recently found out that we have been working on a new set of diagnostic criteria for Lupus. Previously, we have about 10 of the most common indicators of the average patient that doctors use (like rashes, anemia, hair lose, fatigue, etc). Typically a new patient has been met 8 out of 10 (or something like this) in order to officially receive the diagnosis.

The good news is, after about 10 years, they are starting to review and update these indicators. Remember, the goal is early diagnosis!!! We need to get the word out about the Lupus symptoms so that doctors consider autoimmune diseases and patients are not bounced from one doctor to another getting sicker and sicker. This saved my life! I know I didn't have any organ complications because I had a doctor who said come into my office EVERYDAY so I can see what is now happening, and that didn't think I was crazy.

We are also working towards new research, so of course it makes sense we would now update the list of indicators. I noticed the new blood tests that are slowly becoming more scientific and specific.

Good news all around. I'll take it and keep fighting!

No comments:

Post a Comment