Sunday, January 2, 2011

a spiky pinecone took me out

Well I have another sad report in the world of LL. For those who don't know, I've been plagued by bad ankles since I was an athlete who just keep playing year-round on damaged cartilage. I remember a doctor at some point saying to me "the only think holding your ankle together right now is your skin." Joy. Good work.

Last night I was out for a hike throughout the trails, law school and business school by my house. I was loitering around, looking at the trees, listening to music, and immersed in my own world when a spiky pinecone took me down. Yep, you heard it here first, a small inch diameter pinecone took all 6 feet of me down to the sidewalk. This wasn't a normal pinecone, instead it was a spiky ball of death. Those mother f-ers are strong! It didn't even crack it, but it popped my ankle and before I knew what was going on I was on the wet ground. I got up and sat there thinking "ohhh it is getting hot, this means it is going to be a bad one." I've done this so much over the last 14 years that I know when it is broken, when it is a stress fracture, and the varying degree of sprain-ness.

So I turned my sorry ass around and headed home. I immediately started rotating icing and elevation, and thankfully wake up this AM with not too much swelling. But that good feeling was shot to shit as soon as I walked the 2 blocks to work where it ballooned up. I think I'll have some wicked bruising too, that goes up my leg. Hot.

I secretly wonder what it looks like when big people fall? Perhaps I videotape me on a mountain attempting to ski again???? That too would be a good illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment