Monday, January 24, 2011

a (good) weekend rewind

Sooo I spent the weekend with my good friend, who was visiting from the big CA (baby). I haven't seen him in 8 years, and before that day visit, it was another 6 years. We go back to the mid 90's circa 4-H years. We were both involved in the 2-year exchange program where a bunch of teenagers traveled and wreaked havoc across the states. I remember one camping trip where we TPed the entire campground and put toilet seat covers in paths using the kabob sticks! This was also a time when I had corn-rows/braids in my hair! (note, I was a semi-horrible teenager---much different than the adult LL).

Well this friend now works as an engineer for some small company called the US Military, and comes to Norfolk all the time. Over the last 4 years we have seriously missed each other in ridiculous ways, where once I was flying to CA at the exact same time he was flying to VA. He had a stay over in the big VA this week and decided to get out of the "armpit" (as he referred to it) to visit good old Cville.

Saturday we did a little wine tasting and then got an early seat at Mas, my favorite restaurant. He had never done Tapas before and I was craving those mussels (which consequently had clams in them and were not as good as normal, boooo). We tried a couple other restaurants for after dinner drinks but ended up at Durty Nellys, a Cville whole in the wall / watering hole. Finally on Sunday AM we hit up Bluegrass for some of my fav whole wheat biscuits and tofu/lime hash. What a world wind of great yet odd Cville experiences.

It truly was an enjoyable visit with lots of relaxing, and talking, and catching up. I had an old friend from MI once tell me that I always knew who I was, so there really isn't a change when I see people from past lives. I felt like this during this visit. It was an oddly satisfying weekend that perfectly complimented my new lifestyle. I felt more at ease and supported then I allow myself normally, where there would be 10-15 silence between conversations. Here's to more of these good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment