Sunday, January 16, 2011

getting my Elvis on

Well if you are checking my Twitter feed, you'd know I had a last minute trip to Memphis this week that was immediate shot to shit by the horrid south snow storms. It took me 24 hours to go from Cville to the home of Blues music. I spent most of Th/F working and ended up having to stay in town on Saturday for some follow-up meetings. This sort of sucked because my initial plan was to make the 3 hour trip to Nashville for the weekend to visit a friend. No playing for LL. Sad.

So yesterday after meetings, I decided to go tour Elvis's home, Graceland, since I couldn't make it across the state. I had a GREAT time at Graceland and decided that Elvis and I would have been good friends (BFFs?).....all the sparkles, the eccentric tastes, the love of music (and booze equally). McBetty agreed with me via text about the love of booze, but we agreed that the King and I differed on the pill addiction--I said I plan to try that in my 30's (which Poppa B did not think was funny at all)!

Here are some pictures from the afternoon of Elvis:



The front of Graceland. The back extended into horse stables, indoor racketball courts, offices, a pool, and a meditation garden.



Elvis is burned in his original meditation garden, which apparently was one of his favorite places on the property. It was recently his birthday so there was fanfare everywhere.



The King had all kinds of different rooms throughout his house. They said when he would travel he would bring back pieces of things that inspired him....like the Hawaii themed room full of craved wood furniture. I liked all the stained glass throughout. And I particularly enjoyed this full fabric-ed game room. WICKED!!!! I am going to fabric my ceiling someday.

I liked looking at Elvis's fashion and I appreciated all this charitable work. He felt very blessed for his success and gave alot of it away. I liked this, very very much. And I didn't realize the way he crossed over in all his music--winning award for Christian, Blue, Country genres. A-mazing.

After Graceland, I made my second visit to the most famous BBQ in Memphis. I sat at the bar, and enjoyed my time eatin, drinkin, and socializin with the bartender.

Well I fly out tonight but am headed to Jackson (half way between Memphis and Nashville) to meet my friend for lunch and some shopping. Here's to a little Memphis/TN visit....

No comments:

Post a Comment