Wednesday, April 21, 2010

wowsa, wasn't expecting THAT one

Wowowowsa. I had a shock of a lifetime tonight. As I've discussed previously, I paint some old ladies nails at a local nursing home. I like to gab it up with these ladies and frankly it is a good volunteer opportunity for me that doesn't tire me out. Plus if I wanted to quit, which sometimes I secretly do, I wouldn't be able to because it means so much more to the old ladies than it does to me.

Well I've talked about my theory that when you get old either your body gives out or your mind goes. I think it is more rare for both of those thinks to happen at the same time. Instead, you can walk downstairs to get your nails done but you can't remember shit and think that I'm going to give you a ride back to your house. OR, you can't walk or see but remember everything anyone tells you. I have both kinds at my nursing home.

Turns out my favorite lady who's room I visit, remembers every freakin detail I tell her, including that I was fundraising for the Lupus foundation and doing a walk last weekend. The last couple weeks she kept asking me for information where she could send money. Our conversation would go like this: her "I want to donate", me "No way, I won't let you", her "but I want to", me "keep dreaming, I'm not comfortable with it." BUT she wore me down and I ended up giving her a brochure which I received in the mail. I figured she can't see worth shit, so it's not like she will be able to read it, right?

Well turns out she worked it out and tonight she informed me that she sent a check to the foundation for a rather large amount. It seriously made me cry, right there, next to all the snacks she keeps for me in her room because I never have time to eat dinner between work and the nail painting. I had to eat half the box of chocolate covered pretzels just to calm myself.

I know, I know, I'm working on not letting it bother me and being OK with the fact that she wanted to do something nice for me. I've never let her pay me for doing her nails the last 16 months, and I guess that is worth alot more to her. Plus I need to keep reminding myself that her son is the executor and if she didn't have the money he wouldn't have wrote the check. Right, right? Trying not to feel like a bad person....how backwards is that???

1 comment:

  1. L - I know it's rather long since this event happened but I'm glad I finally read it. I think you are totally awesome and if I had it, I would give you a bunch of money for painting my nails, too. Let's work on accepting love and help from others together!

    -ccp

    ReplyDelete