Saturday, July 3, 2010

an alaskan update part 1

Well I safely made it to Anchorage on Thursday afternoon/evening after a grueling 13 hours plane ride. Yep I was literally on airplanes, and not necassarily on layovers in airports, for what seemed like ever. I almost took a bump which would have caused me to get into AL like 8 hours later, and that might have pushed me over the edge. I am not made (all 6 plus feet of me) to sit in tiny airplane seats for that long of a time.

I made it safely and got to start hanging out with my little cooper, the pooper, Bri and Ryan's one year old son. He is super cute and amazing calm, patience, and fun for a 1 year old. Today is his 1 year old birthday party and they are throwing a big BBQ. The only job I got was to cut up the strawberries but I did buy him a really too big t-shirt that says "someone loves you in Cville". I'm amazing, I know.

Well here are some of my beginning observations of Alaska:
  • Yeah well they ain't kidding about that "it's light out for 21 hours a day" thing. That is for real. It might not be sunny out, been mostly cloudy, but is it light enough to read outside until 2 AM in the morning. Crazy business.
  • Bri says Ambien is the most filled prescription during the summer, yeah I bet.
  • I saw my first moose yesterday and by the time Ryan quick flipped a bitch in the road to go back to see it more up close, it was gone. So it may have been possible that I saw a moose mirage, but I'm sticking with my story.
  • We went to a home brew store yesterday and to a brewery. I loved it and got some gifts. Surprisingly there are alot of breweries up here, drinking is in style.
  • People refer to me from "the lower 48." Yep, this is an attitude sort of like I have for the Carolinas or the Dakotas, where I tend to lump states together, well up here they lump all 48 of us together!
  • I went for my first hike yesterday and apparently most people hike with guns here because of the bears and some rabit mooseseses. I just brought my captain and tennile, but Ryan had holster a gun whilst Bri holster Cooper whilst I took pictures of the landscape. I was really pulling my weight.
  • Bri and Ryan are doing well and are happy and amazing and still loads of fun.

3 comments:

  1. this has nothing to do with alaska, though i do believe you about seeing a moose. we are going to see eclipse tonight in honor of the USA (and you know, edward and bella and jacob et al). change some dirty diapers for me, will ya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep there might be a little movie seeing, though it is more difficult with a baby :) He goes to bars with us but I'm not sure about movies. We'll see. I already got an email from Julia and Lisa for when I get back just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops i posted today's comment w/out reading your reply to this one. the movie was awesome! have fun with the pooper!

    ReplyDelete