Sunday, July 4, 2010

an alaskan update part 3

Today we drove the most beautiful scenic drive that closely rivals some of my other favorite drive in WA, Udaho, and cheddarland in the fall. There were mountains, snow, sand, water, and a little baby crying (though I could do without the latter). It was very very pretty. We drove until the longest tunnel in North America. It is about 2 1/2 miles and one lane. Every half an hour one side gets to go through it, and I went one way with my head out the window the entire time! It was great.

We made it through the tunnel to the great city of Wittier, AK, which was having a 4th of July festival with all 150 of it's towns-people. I had homemade clam chouder and a reindeer dog. The dog was pretty damn good and I got to write "Happy 4th of July, bitches" on the sidewalk in chalk...OK only kidding I wrote "Happy 4th of July, LL from VA" but really thought about the first. On the way back through the tunnel a train got stuck so it took an extra 2 hours, where I had to entertain Cooper the pooper by giving him rides on my shoulders and butt dancing for everyone lined up in their vehicles.

On the way home we stopped in Girdwood (gird your loins!!!) which was having a "Hippie Festival." Thanksfully we made it through the town without Ryan running anyone over and stealing their pot, to get to the Girdwood Tram! Now this is something I can get excited about. We ride up a tram over 2000 feet into the freezing cold atmosphere that has the best views of all of Alaska. It was pretty cool and the pictures were amazing! More to come on this business later...

More of LL's observations during some alaskan adventures:
  • I saw 3 bald eagles today! They were flying around and sitting some shit on the beach. Go America.
  • I learned, from the AK license plate, that Alaska only became a state like 50 years ago. Well shit they might as well be illegal, probably don't even have their green card yet. And too boot, apparently most American children think Alaska is by Hawaii on a map...
  • I learned today that Alaska's state initials are AK even thought I've been sending things up here for years with AL. But luckily my stuff hasn't been going to Alabamamama! Those postal workers are real s-m-r-t and apparently understand Leslie-isms.
  • Today I saddled Cooper onto my back and finally pulled my weight with my vacation family. I could only handle it for about 20 minutes till I thought my spine was going to snap!
  • I thought I saw a mountain goat, but apparently it was a black and white hairy human. Another animal mirage...
  • Apparently mountain water is fresher than normal water because it's been filtered through dirt and moose poop. Yeah. That's believable.
  • I got to stick my toesy in the Pacific Ocean in the Prince William Sound today. It was totally hot until a big bunch of seaweed washed up.
  • The four of us celebrated 4th of July this afternoon by rolling around in the yard with exploding snaps and party popers. My ass could explode an entire packet of snaps! Now that is talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment