Tuesday, June 23, 2009

a church rant

So I volunteer to be on a local Cville community child care executive board which works between a local church and preschool. Tonight we had a meeting, which is typically attended by way too many whiney church ladies, some preschool staff, the church pastor, and a couple community members (myself included). And I'm sure you can imagine that many of these meetings permit the whiney church ladies to reminance about the good old days, and how things used to be run. For about 60 of the 90 minutes you want to kill youself.

On this note, and on a related church rant, I grow tired of churchs that are run this way. Many churches fail to realize that it is a business, for lack of a better term. If you have grounds, space, and are collecting money, it is a business. And many of the operations should be run that way. I acknowledge, whole-heartedly, that often times these organizations are run and lead by volunteers but that does not negate the fact that often times decisions to be made that are of a business mind. Many seminaries do not teach their leaders how to do this....it is not a class they take or a necassary skill to have in order to be a church leader, and this can be a real problem.

So for this reason, I am not a huge fan of this church's pastor (her and multiple other pastors from churchs I've attended who have interests beyond the congretation and what is good for the parish). Although I do not attend this church on Sundays, I am happy to volunteer for their board and help out with their preschool as needed. I learned tonight that apparently this pastor is not a fan of mine either. She repeatedly interrupts and contridicts my friends, which I have largely ignored, but she really pissed me off today.

Today I wore a white skirt, a red t-shirt and a white cover up. The red t-shirt, which I just recieved as a gift, had a blue rocket on it and small letters that said "pale ale" for a brewery in Duluth, MN. Yes I know it is a beer shirt but with the cover up no one would know (and I wore it to work today too). Well apparently this offended the paster. After the meeting tonight she made a comment about how it took some guts to wear a pale ale shirt to a church meeting. I told her that is what I wore to work today and it was just me....who I was. Afterwards, I realized she was being way more rude and I should have said back to her "I'm sorry I didn't realize that volunteers at your church had a dress code for tuesday night meetings....the church I go to accepts people no matter what they look like....I hate to think what your requirements are for Sunday mornings"

Pissed me off. Hells bells there wasn't a bottle of beer on the shirt or anything that apparent. Next month I'm going to wear my Irish FECK shirt and see what the fat cow does then. She'll probably shit a brick. I don't think you should really be putting down your volunteers, especially when they just sat through 90 minutes of a meeting that could have been a total of 30 minutes. Especially when I was volunteering to help out multiple times throughout the meeting.

That lady can suck it, and see if I give two shits if she doesn't like my "pale ale" t-shirt. Stuipd church people.

No comments:

Post a Comment