Friday, July 15, 2011

an impromptu NYC trip

Well last month, I decided to take an impromptu weekend get away to NYC, to shake myself out of a funk. My best friend/soul mate/lover pants was commuting cross-continental for work and crashing with our MN friend Sarah (now dubbed 1.0). I decided this was a good weekend to take the train up to Manhattan to accomplish the following goals:
  1. See someone having sex against a wall in the meat packing district
  2. Spot an anorexic model in 4 inch heels (and hope she takes a digger in front of you)
  3. Dance until 4 AM
  4. Walk through Brooklyn with Spike Lee
  5. Sit on a rooftop patio overlooking something inspiring
Well I'm happy to report that Helga, Sarah1.0 and I accomplished a number of these goals with typically MN flare. Couple years ago we tore up Austin and attempted to the same last year in the OBX. We only had about 2 days this time, but there was plenty of laughter and fun.

After my wicked 7 hour train ride directly from Cville into Manhattan without any transfers, Helga and I had drinks on an NYC sidewalk with a tiny British man who I think may have liked my sassiness (insert half accomplishing goal #2 above). Then we took a taxi into the depths of Brooklyn only to walk back to a grocery store for booze and supplies. Unfortunately, the booze turned out to be "wine product" which roughly equates to glorified grape juice. My goal for the rest of the weekend was to drink these two bottles of wine product--I didn't want to waste any booze, be that from the "wine product" category, and I felt like a college student again walking around with a backpack full of pseudo booze. Success.



That night we walked to some huge Brooklyn park with meet up with 15 other Minnesotans, and about 15,000 other New Yorkers for an outdoor concert (insert half accomplishing goal #4 above). Sometime past midnight, after many all the other concert-goers had left, we pealed the crusted cheese puffs and cherry pits from our butts to drag ourselves home.

The weekend was perfect for me, cloudy and atypically cold. Let's run around naked!!! Instead, we stayed inside cooking phattie brunches, watching HP (which was brought all the way from CA), and recovering. Cheese grits anyone? I got to see the Statue of Liberty in all her glory after waddling around a hipster grocery store eating organic granola.

Later that night we went into Manhattan for an impromptu BBQ with those 15 Minnesotans in some downtown? uptown? midtown? (OK somewhere on the island) loft. After much relaxing and drinking, we started walking to the meat packing district in hopes of finding some dancing. Luckily we stumbled across a club where Sarah2.0 danced in a basement fountain with floating plastic balls. At some ungodly hour, we headed upstairs where there was more fountains and a number of beds throughout the dance floor. Sarah2.0 tried to jump out a window but luckily there were bouncers who gave her the evil eye. There were those fake candles throughout the upstairs which we danced with and which I pocketed in my clutch for future use. This little light of mine:



That candle led us home at 4 AM (insert full accomplishment of goal #3 above), provided us with light during extreme hung over states the next morning, and will continue to provide comfort within Sarah1.0's apartment for years to come. Sunday was a traveling home day, but not after Sarah1.0 and I relaxed on her apartment's rooftop patio drinking coffee for an hour or so (insert full accomplishment of goal #5 above).

Well that means that I did not reach goal #1 above. I didn't see anyone having sex, which is really OK, but perhaps necessitates a future trip.

On unrelated note, I received the most wicked awesome set of pillow cases from Helga. Check these bad boys out:



Mustache rides anyone? Yes please.

No comments:

Post a Comment