Friday, December 17, 2010

a little st. kitts update

Wellllll a big HELLO to all you 1) still working and 2) in cold(er) weather!!! Life is pretty damn good here on the island. We are bordering between 70-80's each day with a pretty wicked wind (thank god). Pictures and stories have been posted on facebook, so go stalk someone in my immediate family to see. Here are some highlights:
  • I've swam/peed in the ocean everyday. I maintain that the Caribbean side (vs. the altantic-tity side) has no salt in the water, although there is no evidence to support such a claim!
  • The ocean waves are high and strong to a point where I (LL of 6 feet and some muscle) got swept under the waves the other day. I took a face of floor sand and got some shells in my suit. This makes Momma B very very nervous where I'm not allowed to go to the beach by myself anymore!
  • Momma B has a serious addiction to the computer/internet, to go along with the weather channel, which causes her to read things outloud to anyone within distance. Seriously she needs treatment.
  • We are listening to Christmas music, and I have heard some Caribbean holiday tunes where they go "ho, ho, ho" with some steal dums. I liked it.
  • We are taking taxis all over the island (population 38000) instead of renting a car, which means we have made friends with many of the local folks. All the taxis have saying on their cars, like "Jesus Take De Wheel." I'm going to start writing down the other good ones...
  • We celebrated my parent's 42nd wedding anniersary the other night by going out to a nice restaurant. It overlooked St. Kitt's sister island, Nevis, and the water, and had the most decilious food....
  • Our condo is slightly on the small side, where I've been rotating between sleeping on one of the patios (until I was eaten alive by bugs and now look like I have a disease), on the floor, and now the couch. Needless to say you can hear everything everywhere in the place as there are no doors, but three stories (everyone lean outward on the spiral staircase).
  • We've been good drinkers, enjoying Carib (returned two 24 cases today!) and other island favorites like LL's homemade Pina Cola's. I think the earliest I started drinking was 9:30 AM. I still have 7 days more to get a better start time!
  • There are palm trees everywhere and I've been planning a secret mission to get a coconut--they fall all the time! I'm going to judo chop one open (note: I know this is difficult, but a trip to a island wouldn't be complete without me almost chopping off a finger).
  • Yesterday I went on a scenic train ride around the island with poppa b. I thought it was great, mostly because we saw wild goats!!! They were everywhere and I tried to put one in my purse hoping customs won't notice.
  • I better understand the concept of "island time" because it is soooo f-ing hot that you have to walk with a slow swagger in order not to die due to the big ball of death in the sky.
  • I found a whole CONCH in the ocean! This is a big sea shell, but what I thought was cool was that it was still in form and not damaged at all. But let me tell you, that thing stunk like something rotten 10x over, and it freaked me out because I was afraid something might bite me!
  • My goal in card playing is still working well during our Euchre tournaments: "I never try to win but to just slow down the other team."
  • The island is sooo damn expensive. No kidding, even with the exchange rate it costs an arm and a leg. I think I spent $12 on a box of Nature Valley granola bars yesterday because I was going to pass out....not surprisingly, Rum is super cheap!

Well this next week I will do the zip line through the rain forrest mountains, and get on a ferry to Nevis. We will see what else happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment